lunes, 28 de septiembre de 2015

MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY

MY  EXPERIENCE AND DEVELOPMENT AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE TEACHER
Noryda León Cordoba



When I started my adolescence, I was very curious about the English language. Its phonetics, the culture and people around it. Although my first English teacher was authoritarian, frightening, boring and I used to receive translation classes, English was my favorite class. I had what I needed, my “parents’ support”.  My dad used to give me the cds, posters, videos and photos of my favorite singers. Therefore, I used to learn vocabulary every day. Hence, I just needed an opportunity to interact, communicate and share my knowledge with others.

When I began my secondary studies at La Normal Superior School, everybody told me if I studied there I had to become a teacher. Of course, I did not want to be forced to do it, so I usually said I would never be a teacher. 

In tenth grade there was a new English teacher. So I was really enthusiastic about learning from this person. This was the first time I enjoyed an English class indeed.
This teacher decided to interact with the students in English and made us use it for real purposes. He was well-prepared and had a lot of fun with us. Thus, I admired my English teacher and wanted to be like him.

As time went by, the school taught me the real beauty of this profession. There I learnt about the social, academic and ethical commitment involved in it. Later, in eleventh grade I met another interesting person that showed me awesome things about being a teacher. She was a student-teacher from Universidad Surcolombiana, her name is Leidy Diana and now we are colleagues and classmates at the Master English Program of Universidad Surcolombiana. Leidy was very creative, friendly and responsible in every class. So when I had doubts or questions about this career I tended to talk to her.

Consequently, when I entered the English Undergraduate Program of Universidad Surcolombiana, I was convinced I wanted to be a teacher. There, I realized I was a talented person who could contribute in the improvement of the English teaching in my context.
Nevertheless, I had many fears and did not want to fail, so I decided to travel to U.S.A and deal with a new culture and people. There I was sure I was going to learn to have control of the situations and make decisions quickly. As a result, as a camp counselor I learned to be more creative, caring, adaptable, determined, engaging, joyful and have a good group manage. So, when I started my teaching practicum, I was not afraid of failing but I wished to learn and improve my skills as an English teacher.

I got my first job as an English teacher when I was in eighth semester of my career. I was only nineteen years old and my boss asked me if I was able to teach people older than me. I thought it was a new experience because I had never taught to adults, so I said yes. At the beginning I felt nervous and I was afraid of being rejected by my students. 
However, I thank God for having given me this wonderful opportunity to learn from myself and these amazing people. They were engineers, doctors, psychologists, undergraduate students, retired people etc. I have to say I really enjoyed teaching them because they were open-minded, joyful, fun and willing to do whatever to learn such as playing games, singing songs, making role plays and so on. Therefore, this experience has enriched my professional development.

As soon as I graduated, my second job was in Garzon, Huila. There I had to teach English to all the students from the school because the other teacher quit. Although I sometimes felt worn out because of the schedule, I learned from my students every day. I attempted to use the methods I learned in my University, but later I understood I could modify or change the methodologies according to the learning context.

After some other jobs, in 2010 I got a job in a public school, which has been remarkable in my teaching practice. There I met marvelous students and teachers who helped me comprehend the community was important in the process of teaching and learning. This allowed me to recognize it was time to start a research on social issues that affect positively or negatively in the English learning.

Now, I’m working in another public school, and let me tell you I have learnt a lot during these three months, due to the challenges that appear every day. Such challenges have encouraged me to review my teaching practice, my values, my beliefs and my knowledge. As well as, the search of new ways to transform and innovate in my teaching field. Therefore, I would like to leave a footprint and contribute for the improvement of this teaching learning context.

Finally, I’m studying a Master degree and feel very proud of being in the process of becoming a real researcher. I know I still need to learn more about this beautiful area but I am sure if I do my best I can grow as a researcher teacher and reflective practitioner.


3 comentarios:

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hello dear Norida,
    I think most of us liked English since we were children as you and other colleagues describe in their autobiography. Besides it, the support from the families play an important role to develop our careers. On the other side I am very proud because I can say that when I was a student-teacher and I had to do my teaching practice I found students like you very interested in the learning process and the one who participate every time. And now to see that you are an excellent teacher and my colleague makes me think that all that we do in class would be reflected in our students and that somehow we are models for the learners. I feel really pleased to know that my students still remember me, even if I shared a few months with them.

    ResponderEliminar